Saturday, June 6, 2015

Cancer treatment trials - follow the money.

Before I start this blog let me share some good news. I had a period of 2 months where my metastatic tumors on my lungs did not grow.

I was told that radiation couldn't be used in my case, I was told surgery wasn't a cure and could be life changing. Since my tumors were growing slow I felt I had time to try some other approach to stopping this disease from killing me.

I am not saying I have found a cure or anything like that, I am just suggesting that there are enough stories like mine that there should be some studies done to see why certain alternative treatments have success sometimes.

What I did was on my own, not through a nutritionist or alternative doctor trying to sell their treatment. I researched a lot of the substances that Big Pharma is trying to synthesize so they can patent their drug.

Here is a list of what I take:
  1. Vitamin D3 - 4000 iu
  2. Indole-3 – Carbinol - 400mg
  3. Astragalus extract - 2000 mg
  4. Bee Propolis - 800 mg
  5. Curcumin - 2000 mg
  6. CBD - 5 mg transdermal patch
These suppliments and my diet changes are expected to work on the Immunotherapy principle, as well as supply some anti angiogenesis properties.

Both of these treatments are being studied extensively and many are showing promising results.

So now the reason for this blog.

While I am looking for new trials to participate in for my type of cancer, 2 things are apparent:

  1. Most trials are for the most popular types of cancer because if a treatment is shown to work for breast cancer, then there are many more patients to sell the treatment to. No one can blame them for that.
  2. Most if not all trials on new treatments are run by Big Pharma, if they cant patent an idea they wont spend the millions and billions to test it and research results. No one can blame them for that. 
The most disturbing thing is that there are no publicly funded trials? It is the publicly funded trials that should be researching and studying the many alternative treatments that have shown some success.

  • We donate millions each year to cancer societies where are their funded trials.
  •  The Government pays billions each year in cancer care costs, through medicaid and medicare. Why are they not running trials trying to find more cost effective alternatives? 
What I have found is that many countries with publicly funded health care plans often sponsor trials for treatments. Those treatments may not have a great bottom line for the developers, but could offer more affordable treatments.

Conclusion

Follow the money and you will usually find an answer.

  1. The most money is made in treating not curing.
  2. There are some alternative treatments that cost very little that have shown possible benefits. They are not being studied and researched. 
  3. The Government is the biggest health care spender, they are not sponsoring any trials to find more effective and cheaper alternatives
  4. There are a number of natural products that share many cancer fighting properties. These products are not being studied and combined in research because the products cant be patented.  
I wont speculate why in this conclusion I will let everyone come up with their own theories and share them in the comments.

With the Vice President just losing a son to cancer,, I will not suggest a willingness to suppress trials and research on possible treatments that will not be profitable.
But one has to wonder why there are so few publicly funded trials into natural products that support both of the 2 newest areas of cancer treatment research.

Immunotherapy principle,  anti angiogenesis properties.

I will keep doing what I am doing, and see if I can possibly reverse my tumors growth when I have my next Ct scan, For now the tumors not growing is a good thing for me. :)
I think it is time we asked for  more publicly funded trials and research of natural cures and treatments.

Until next time, be safe and happy.

Rod
  

1 comment:

If you disagree with the opinions expressed here we welcome those comments but ask that you have the courage to sign your name. If you are afraid of black balling then please by all means remain anonymous.